Friday, October 25, 2019

Point Dume Beach ... Malibu, CA

ten years ago - to the day ...

excerpt from Pacific Chronicles © 2019 ...

What Is It About Southern California?

Probably more than I can explain, but I’ll try …

My enchantment with the Santa Monica Bay area (from Venice to Malibu) is difficult to articulate but there’s a certain chronology and specificity among its many attributes that I can describe with precise detail. 
The environment captivates my imagination, energizes my spirit, and awakens my senses to a steady flow of inspiration – like a continuous stream of real-time events veiled upon scrims – undulating to the pulse of the ocean’s relentless energy. It enriches my repository of sensations with countless images, sounds, and stories – fluid memories, Water Memory ®
The westside of LA has always moved with a cool swagger to the rhythms of earth – from the rugged, wave-beaten cliffs at Zuma and Topanga to the attitudes of Venice’s Eternal Beach. Here, culture mimics the very nature of an environment on the fringe of western civilization. Until now, there’s always been a distinctiveness inhabiting the Bay area’s spirit of place, but changes occur rapidly … 
My impressions of Southern California have formed an aggregated sub-script of memories and sensory data within a visual compendium of images and sound – one that is more unique than any place I’ve known. Few places on earth can do what it does to me. This is where I am reacquainted with my Muses. Muses that teach me the vulnerabilities of inspiration. Every inspiration, with its own character, requires nurturing and understanding to develop an intimacy with the subject. My Muses are conjured through a ritual of environmental behaviors and time-tested disciplines that allow susceptibility to this phenomenon.